The Director of Kirkuk Municipality, confirmed that the Majidiyah Café in the center of Kirkuk will be restored.
Fereydoun Adel, the director of Kirkuk municipality affiremd to (KirkukNow) the café is restored not demolished after argument over social media by Kirkukis follwoing the demolition work of an old building located near the Majidiyah Café to be turned into a commercial mall by an investor.
"Al Majeediya Café will not be removed, but will be restored soon, while retaining its own heritage design," Adel said on May 7th.
Al-Majidiyah Café is one of the famous and old cafes in the city of Kirkuk. Its construction dates back to 1928, according to some historical sources, during the period when Abdul Majeed Pasha, a Kurd served as the mayor of Kirkuk.
The café seated approximately 250 people, and had a water basin as well.
Writers and intellectuals gathered around the basin and organized cultural and literary seminars, and the café was a meeting place for the city's residents from all components.
The café is owned by the municipality of Kirkuk, and it has been closed since 2003 and is still deserted to the present, but the municipal director indicated that the café will be reconstructed according to its old design and will open its doors to the pioneers, without specifying the date of the restoration of the café.
Located 238 kilometers north of Baghdad, the oil-rich city of Kirkuk is an ethnically mixed province for 1.7 million Kurds, Arabs, and Turkmen, Muslims, Christians and Kaka'is. It has long been at the center of disputes between Baghdad and the Erbil.
Currently, the Iraqi army, local and federal police, Special Forces along with Shiite paramilitary of Popular Mobilization Forces PMF, undertake the security of Kirkuk province and the disputed territories.